Monday, May 18, 2015

The Recipe (and not the one from Walton's Mountain either!)


People in town and online requested the breakfast casserole recipe, and I really appreciate that they did. When I went to get it in my computer, it was gone!!! It obviously was one of the things lost in the last computer crash. The tattered and torn scrap of paper I used Saturday I was tossing. Thank heavens, the trash was not gone yet!

The recipe is very reminiscent of the old standby sausage and egg casserole. The few changes here are texture and color maybe. DH hates seeing the green but does admit he can’t really taste the spinach lost among all the cheeses and eggs. It is easy, potable, and tasty. I have used this recipe for supper even. Any leftovers are good anytime! I have even frozen a couple of single servings for microwaving in crunch times.



Enjoy!

Breakfast Casserole
2 ½ cup of seasoned crotons
1-Lb. sausage, browned
4 eggs
2 ¼ cup milk
10oz can of cream of mushroom soup
10oz frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry ( I used wilted fresh spinach)
4 oz can of sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
¼ teas. or more of dry mustard (I used little over a whole teaspoon!)

Spread croutons in bottom of greased 9x13 pan.
Add Sausage.
Whisk together eggs and milk. Add remaining ingredients. Refrigerate overnight.
Bake 325 for 50-55 minutes.

Serve with picante sauce if desired.

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Hold the sausage and I would love it. Hold the spinach and the mushrooms and my partner would love it. I win!
Great sounding recipe. Thank you. Though probably not for breakfast.

Sioux Roslawski said...

It looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Merlesworld said...

I like a big breakfast sounds pretty good to me.
Merle.............

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Well, you know what I'm trying this weekend! Thanks for sharing, Claudia. :)

Susan said...

Sounds good to me, Claudia. Susan