Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Friday Fictioneers


Many things have kept me from participating in creative play lately, but how could I resist Rochelle's picture for Friday Fictioneers? This is a picture of Union Station in Kansas City. I have been there but not often. I love the marble, the clicking heels on the floors, the vaulted ceilings, the spacious elegance...not to mention all the history here!

So I had to take a stab at the 100 word challenge to go with the picture. For complete rules and more readings go to http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/  Now I am going to go read some of those pieces myself!


                                Union Station in Kansas City, Missouri
                                       
 
                                        Kansas City, June 1933
Sarah felt buoyant among marble pillars dripping shades of melted sherbet in the train station. She was meeting her fiancĂ©’s Chicago train. She paused facing a gilded mirror to get the tilt of her rose-colored beret right and noticed another face beside her reflection.

The man’s square, baby face sat over a tight collar with yellow bowtie. Well-cut hair peeked out from an angled fedora. He touched manicured fingers to the brim and flashed an acknowledging smile.

She turned, tugging her white gloves, but he was gone.  Then a 30 second blast of bullets wreaked havoc outside.
 
 
Baby Face Floyd probably would not have been lurking inside the station on the Massacre Day, but who knows?

13 comments:

Sandra Crook said...

Great take on the prompt!

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields said...

Dear Claudia,

I love the history in the this piece. You set the stage quite nicely.

A word of correction, though. The original photo prompt was taken at Union Station in Washington, DC, not Kansas City. The photo of Union Station in Kansas City was my addition for my own story.

I'm sorry if I confused you or anyone else by doing so.

In any case, don't change a thing. I like your story and I love KC history since it's my hometown.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

I love it! I want to read more. Fascinating.

Tom Poet said...

Very Nicely done. Great imagery in this and a nice piece of history.

Tom

Susan said...

More! More! I want more! See how you hook me in? Susan

Perry Block said...

Baby Face Floyd? Not sure I know about him. Nicely described bit of history and I hope Sarah's not too upset!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Claudia--Great bit of flash fiction.

The next time you go to KC, check out "Half Price Books" (I think there are two locations). They have a huge variety of used books, and the prices are great.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write details. And the ending was a shock. Entertaining! :D

nightlake said...

a great story

Douglas MacIlroy said...

Dear Claudia,

he was always polite to the ladies. Good slice of history wrapped up and presented painlessly to your readers. Well done.

Aloha,

Doug

Donna Volkenannt said...

OOOh. I like it! Very evocative and mysterious.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Great historical fiction. And who's to say he wasn't lurking about? Nice job with this, Claudia!

Jenny said...

This looks like such a fun meme!

I like your story along with the picture!