Friday, March 23, 2012

Book Blurb/Taking Sinbad


Last Saturday, I tried to get back to some of the fun little writes that makes the brain play. On Saturday I did Centus, but forgot what I was doing with word count. I used the Book Blurb count of 150 instead of the assignment 98 words. I goofed! But today I am following the rules carefully, using Lisa's picture and word count of 150. For more blurbs based on the picture and complete rules to play, visit Lisa's blog at http://www.writinginthebuff.net/2012/03/book-blurb-friday-56-tail-of-tiger.html.

This big cat picture is gorgeous. Our local school mascot is the tiger so I have lived in "tiger country" for several years. We do indeed have a small circus that winters just outside of town. While we don't see the big cats outside, on warm days you can drive down the road and see a mass of elephants in the pasture acting as at home as a herd of Angus.





                                                  Taking Sinbad

Jamey had worked under Pete’s tutelage long enough to learn how to manage the big cats at Ringling Bros. Now he wanted to move on to a small Missouri circus, taking star Sinbad along, where he could tend to cats but also be the tamer in the ring. He planned on taking Pete’s daughter Sheila with him.
But when lion tamer Josh Perkins had seen Pete’s daughter shed her baby fat and grow the audience-approved curves, he decked her out in sequins to waltz about the cats during performances. Old enough to be her father, it was not fatherly interest he had in her. Using deceit, threats, and underhanded ways to keep both cat and girl, Perkins hindered their reach for freedom and a life of their own.

 Could they escape Perkins? Would Sinbad become theirs?

Tension and evil lurked in three rings. The answer was under the Big Top.

4 comments:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Great to see you on here this morning! You packed in so much into your 150 words this week. I was laughing at the end though and love the words you chose. Of course I will buy your book and learn of the in-and-outs of traveling circuses.

Have a great weekend,

Kathy M.

Sandra Davies said...

I sincerely hope so! This promises a rich and well-characterised read, and I hope you'll stay around for more. Well done.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

What a delightful blurb, Claudia! The antagonist is a real stinker, and the heroine a lovely lady. All I could think of was one of my favorite books "Water for Elephants." That means I have to read this one, too!

Tammy said...

Great combination of animals and love and show biz! Sounds like a winner to me.