Monday, February 13, 2012

A Baby Snow and Tea


Local weathermen said last night that snow would begin to fall at 3 a.m. So at 4:00 a.m. my eyelids flew up like a venetian blind that would not go back down. Was it the soft silence caused by snow sounds that brought me awake? Sure enough, snow was falling and beginning to gather under the street lights. Each flake refused to hold hands with the others. This is the first snow of our winter and will only be a couple of inches they say.

No matter how many years that mount up between my own school days (and I am not counting!) or teaching days, I will never lose my love for a snow day! So I guess the excitement of a snow day held my sleep hostage. By 4:30 I was brewing tea, setting up my books, and watching the snow fall, resulting in that distinctly muffled noise on the streets!
A couple of chapters about the Cherokee Trail of Tears in a book by Diane Glancy, a first cup of tea, and two miles of an exercise video were finished by 6:30 and time for more tea. It seemed the right day for the snowman tea cups, although there would not be enough snow for building a snowman. Yet the thrilling thought was still in place. A strong Yorkshire brand black was strong enough to meet the cold house at that hour, and the fiber muffin was a healthy, hearty side for this snow day.

Now a chicken is in the oven and potatoes rumble in a pan on the stove. Yesterday’s homemade croutons wait for a salad; lunch will be soon. The tea this time will be St. Dalfour Lemon. And after lunch, I will have my work cut out for me: I need to edit a story and to NOT fall asleep.
I don’t want to miss a minute of this snow day!

7 comments:

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

We don't get much snow here in Atlanta, although they're saying perhaps a "wintry mix" tomorrow.

There is something special about the first snowfall. I grew up in New England where we saw PLENTY of snow. But the first sighting of snow always brought us to the windows. We'd watch it fall like we'd never seen it before. :)

Ames said...

I was 18 the first time I saw snow. It was the most beautiful thing ever! Then it got cold-er.
Tea sound good and so does the roasted chicken and potatoes. I should back away from this computer and start dinner.~Ames

BECKY said...

Yes...there's nothing like stepping outside when it's snowing at night time....it's so peaceful and QUIET. Maybe that happened to Simon and Garfunkel right before the wrote, "The Sounds of Silence."

Linda O'Connell said...

The snow has arrived but I have my doubts about a snow day tomorrow. Although, I hope and wish for a snow day.

Susan said...

Wow Bookie, that was the FIRST snow of the season? Yikes. Global warming is here for sure.

Loved all your descriptions of the snow day.

Thanks for all your visits and comments. Love it when you stop by. Susan

Donna Volkenannt said...

The snow here is lovely. And I love the photo with the tea and sweet treat. I haven't heard of St. Dalfour Lemon, but I'll have to check it out. Hubby got me started drinking Pomegranite Green Tea, which I like a lot.
Donna

Lynn said...

The first snow is exciting! I love your snowman teacup/saucer. And I received your letter - love it and can't wait to write back! And I'm going to write back when I sip the St. Dalfour Lemon tea that you so sweetly mailed along with the letter. Thank you!