Saturday, August 21, 2010

Saturday Centus #16, My Summer Vacation




WEEK 16 ASSIGNMENT


Do you remember how during the first week back at school the teacher would make you write an essay about what you did over your summer vacation? Your story must be written in first person AND must be exactly 100 words long. It can be fact or fiction.

For complete details:http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/08/saturday-centus-week-16.html




My Summer Vacation, 1964

Freshman summer was not much different for best friend Dory and me. Waking in humid Kansas air, we helped our moms freeze strawberries, can tomatoes, or make jam before tanning on blankets or straddling bikes. We bowled bikes down gravel roads, munched chocolate in the cemetery, pulled romantic novels from cool library shelves and stopped at the Rexall for nickel cokes. There we lowered kick stands, tugged our madras shorts out of cracks, smoothed pony tails, and sauntered through the smacking screen door, catching sight of sweaty guys in plaid shirts, sleeves ripped out revealing hay bale-built biceps…um, good summer!

15 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

You really painted a picture here. Good job!

=)

BECKY said...

Loved this!! Ahhh, the Good Old Days! :)

Kaelin said...

Love the imagery - found you through the linky...

http://enchantedinkdom.blogspot.com/

Viki said...

Great descriptions. Good job.

Unknown said...

I could just smell that prairie air I miss so much! Wonderful job!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Tugged madras shorts out of cracks....


MWAHAHAHAH!!!!

Terra said...

Um, yeah...pry a pretty ok summer right? loved what you did here.

Deborah said...

Wonderfully evocative :o)

Malisa said...

Loved it! I was right there with you, except I was in Texas instead of Kansas! However, I never thought of Kansas having humidity! Really? Your words brought back so many sweet memories! Thanks!

I just posted my contribution. Please stop by!

Malisa

Kat said...

This was wonderful! I felt like I was right there, watching the entire scene unfold. Great contribution.

cj Schlottman said...

Such solid, concrete images made a little movie in my head. This is wonderful.

Thanks..........cj

Tracy said...

A super vivid description

Tgoette said...

Lovely story Claudia! A regular slice of Americana! Great job!

Tina said...

sounds like you had some great fun childhood days there.lovely to look back isnt it

Jenny said...

Oh, I love this summer essay!

What wonderful visualization. I can see you through the whole essay.

This was truly wonderful.

I am grinning like a crazy girl here...and absolutely loving this post.

Thanks for linking it!