Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Seeing Savannah




We arrived in Savannah early enough to see much of the town on the way in to a motel. Found lodging right at river’s edge in the Hilton Gardens, which was very nice and reasonably priced too. WE unloaded and hit the sidewalks even though we were tired and grungy. The town is old and the buildings interesting. The main interest seemed to be shopping and eating, neither of which interested us. However, we fell into step with the crowd and peeked in a few shops. We found Paula Deen’s restaurant, but the wait was two and half-hours for a table. No food was worth that to us. We did go in and look around the restaurant and the attached shop as well. We learned that Paula was opening another place in Charleston soon.


After a few hours of walking, we sat down to listen to some music, poor in my humble estimation. So, I wandered around the area while DH sat. I found a shop run by a nice, chatty man whose family had been there for 200 years. He had been an ocean miner, had traveled extensively but missed family. He returned to the family place where he says he now had Christmas and Easter dinner for over a hundred relatives each year. He was fascinating conversationalist, and I urged him to write the book he longs to pen.

Back on the street, I found one of the carriage drivers taking a break. She was a sweetheart from Norman Oklahoma, just like finding someone from home. I wanted to ride, was hot and sweaty. She said she would wait for me to get a beer, a tea or whatever and join her next ride. I knew DH would think the expense unnecessary so I returned to him and said I was going one way or another. He beat me to the buggy!


Oh, and what a ride! It was cooling and relaxing; I loved it and will do it again if I get the chance. We took out with Hank and Rowdy, two beautiful Belgian horses with feet the side of streetcars, pulling the carriage. I sat next to the driver and never missed a word of her history lesson about Savannah. She was informative, honest and witty. She had stories about almost every house or statue. We passed the home that was setting for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and the home of Mrs. Wilkes who is featured in John T. Edge’s book titled Mrs. Wilkes Boardinghouse Cookbook. I heard the comment that her food was better than Paula Deen’s! The book is a delightful read with lots of Savannah stories included.


No comments: