Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Right Word

Want a way to practice writing scenes? Tightening lines? Come write with Jenny’s writing promt. Each linked essay must be 100 words or less, not including the "prompt" words. The prompt words can be used in any place within your story but must be left intact. To do Saturday Centus, use Jenny Matlock’s writing prompt found at http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/07/saturday-centus-week-9.html

This week's prompt:"Are you sure that's the one you want?"


I felt a little lump in my throat as I peered down at my choice, held tightly in my hand. I didn't think this would be so nerve-wracking. Was I making the wrong decision? I couldn't agonize over this any longer.

I took a deep breath before managing to say, "... Yes, it is."

“You aren’t good at this,” she taunted.

I studied the index cards in front of me, shuffling them like a card shark at the gaming table.It was hard to choose, so many would work, but only one could be utilized.

My inner critic ridiculed me again when I finally selected a card. One simple word was written on it, but I hoped the word would work with magnificence.


"Are you sure that's the one you want?"


I felt a little lump in my throat as I peered down at my choice, held tightly in my hand. I didn't think this would be so nerve-wracking. Was I making the wrong decision? I couldn't agonize over this any longer.


I took a deep breath before managing to say, "... Yes, it is."


I inserted the word in the line and then read the poem aloud. “Perfect! A most perfect poem!” I shouted and brushed her out of my mind.

15 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Word selection. Always a poet's dilemma!

Fun take on this one.

=)

PS. If you decide to head over and read my Centus, you'll need to scroll down past my 4th of July post to see it. I'm doing double duty today.

CM said...

Ha, a perfect fit!

Tracy said...

Good choice well done Happy 4th July

jeff campbell said...

Hmmmm...I like it:-)Good fit for this week's prompt...Peace and blessings

BECKY said...

Good one, Claudia!! I need to get back to Jenny's word thingys....I miss doing them!

Vicki/Jake said...

Dang inner critics....
Good one this week.

Tgoette said...

Interesting take on this week's prompt, claudia! Well done!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Fresh and well done!

jfb57 said...

It's the one word that canmake all the difference! Great take on the theme!

Terra said...

Nice. I was reading and reading and totally loving it.

Betty said...

That inner critic can drive anyone crazy.

Cheryl said...

Loved where you went with this. That inner critic is harsher than harsh.

cj Schlottman said...

Oh, the poet's dilemma - word choice......I know of what you write. Bravo!


cj Schlottman

Kat said...

Love this take on the prompt. That inner critic can be a real pain in the donkey. Glad you ignored her! Kat

Jenny said...

Love this take! This is a great twist. And I'm glad your character forgot all about her naysayer. Gosh, there's a lot of them out there, aren't there?