Saturday, November 19, 2011

This Year's Flock

When I read about her new turkeys for the season on Susan’s blog (http://writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-turkeys-to-look-at-not-eat.html), I thought of my own few Thanksgiving birds. I only have a couple, but this year I added two to the flock. One is very old and DH found it while cleaning out his parents’ attic. He tossed it down and asked me if I wanted it. Well, it is rather an ugly thing, paint scuffed off in places, and not something I would long for except that DH said he saw the thing for years on his mom’s Thanksgiving table. Hum, while I wasn’t a witness to those years, I am sucker for tradition and continuity in family holiday rituals. Since our families are fading away through children’s jobs, aging parents, and even death I grabbed on to the turkey even though I know none of the kids coming after me will want to “own” this guy. Something about him called to me, for this year anyway.






The other small turkey is fairly new although I did pick him up in a flea market. I love the totally white ceramic bird and I have so many white pitchers and plates, I thought he would be at home here. After all, he doesn’t take up much room. While he won’t spend much of the year out and about, he can nest with the quail, turkey, and silver birds of winter holidays in the off season! If I can find another inch in the storage closet that is!!!


1 comment:

Linda O'Connell said...

Just call your M-I-L's turkey much loved. He looks like he's seen many a dinner. I also would have to display the old Tom with that big red wattle. Have a great week.