Sunday, June 26, 2011

Centus/Civil War



Jenny has called for a Centus of only 60 words this weekend to celebrate the 60th week of this meme. Her prompt: Dear John.
For more Centus stories and complete rules to play, go to http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/06/saturday-centus-dear-john.html.

Since I am reading about the Border War between Jayhawkers and Bushwackers, my Centus reflects the period and a letter of 1861.



July, 1861



Dear John,


With greatest sadness I sever connections and bury our romance. My loyalties can not be rent like a piece of wool. I must stand with my father, brothers and the Southern cause. I pray that their bullets will aim away from your lovely face. May your own shots be misguided in their direction.


Love but not devotion,


Hetha

14 comments:

Susan said...

Dear Bookie...I dost think thou hast written a clever and witty Centus. Hetha's burying her romance for the sake of her family is quite loyal, I thinkest. A mighty good job, I dost say! Susan

Judie said...

Claudia, this probably happened a lot during the Civil War! You are very clever to have come with this!!!

BECKY said...

Oh so bittersweet. I can't even imagine living through the Civil War and what it did to families and friends...and lovers! Great job!

cj Schlottman said...

What a wonderful direction for you to take this prompt - all the way back to the American Civil War. Great words, well written.

Namaste.........cj

Tgoette said...

What a beautiful and original take on this week's prompt, Claudia! Wonderful job!

Fireblossom said...

Very imaginative, and sadly, probably an echo of actual letters that people wrote.

Unknown said...

Lovely! A heartfelt period piece!
I have promised myself to read Gone With the Wind and have already read Rita Mae Browne's more recent Civil War novel High Hearts. Your text is very good both in capturing the spirit of the time as well as the linguistic form. Well done!

Best wishes,
Anna
Sanna writes to John Tell-Anna's SC wk 60

Jo said...

So original! I love period pieces ... I could actually see this!!!

Nonna said...

Excellent Claudia !

I love this so much and I'm sure it happened a lot during the Civil War...great writing !

Susan Anderson said...

I really like this, Claudia!

=)

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh man. that sucks. she should have fought for her man. Ok, I'm just a romantic at heart.

Rek Sesh said...

That a sad but pretty honest and loving letter. Events make us choose, something you have brought out well in so few words.

Anonymous said...

Strong, ethical and genuine! wow!

Jenny said...

Love, but not devotion.

I love, and am devoted to, that simple perfect line!

I just finished reading a book from that era, too, and it felt so believable.

Gosh. You're so good at this.