Thursday, June 9, 2011

Book Blurb Friday


Lisa is showing us this picture today, asking us to write a book blurb for the possible story. Lisa and many of her followers are masters at creating  possible books. Their ideas are creative and boundless. My own seem rather trite,but I am determined to toss one out when I can, try to exercise my mind, hoping someday to create a great book blurb! It is fun anyway, and if you would like to read more blurbs and to play along, go to http://www.writinginthebuff.net/2011/06/book-blurb-friday-15-final-blackout.html?showComment=1307660551610#c4442667205635060183 for the guidelines. My 148 words are below.




Joey Palladini had dreams. Dreams of getting out of Pasta Town, otherwise known as Poston, a town founded on working class people from Italy. They came to toil in the coal and lead mines when they were needed and now were stuck in circular lives of family, work, marriage and death. Joey wanted to break free of the entire cycle.



But the night of his senior party, with his State U acceptance at home on his desk, he let down and risked locking in his fate with Emilia and the rest. Beer at the river’s edge, Emilia’s bosom heaving out the top of her white t-shirt like mounds of provolone, and his own Levi’s quivering at the sight was risking turning the feast of life he wanted into crumbs at the table. Would Joey come to his senses in time or would he yield to the night’s temptations?

*********Reminder for information and guidelines on the Joplin Relief Writing OP visit Storm Country at http://stormcountry.wordpress.com/.

12 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

"marriage and death" — interesting how you put those two together. LOL

So, this romance novel's innocent star is a very young man being led astray by beer and bosoms. Interesting, or just more of the circular cycle? We'll have to read it to find out!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
PS — my verification word here is "raves" so we know the book is going to get great reviews.

An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I've never before heard boobs likened to mounds of provolone, but I think it's brilliant! LOL This is a great blurb, Claudia. So much about it is entertaining. I really would like to meet your MC and see what kind of trouble he gets into (you know he's going to) and how he gets out of it!

Sandra Davies said...

This blurb is full of promise - both for an in-depth investigation into Joey's character and several grown-up dilemmas and for the language it will be told in - some original and apt descriptions here, Claudia.

Tony Benson said...

I love your imagary, it's very original. I get the feeling he will get into all sorts of fixes before it turns out well in the end. Maybe he'll end up making a wonderful new life with Emilia?

Hootin Anni said...

I for one would love to have him yield...but, on a twist of fate, the night will go on with your wonderful adaptation of the photo here. Whoa. You got me pulled in.

But I seem to be hungry now...did someone mention cheese?


Here is my Blurb

Have a great weekend.

jabblog said...

Can Joey resist and if he can't, can he take Emilia out of Poston with him? All sorts of possibilities and twists here:-)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Ha! This is great. I love the "mounds of provalone"; never in my life have I heard of big boobs being described that way. I'm still laughing.

I think your story is great and I'd love to read the whole thing. Please join us every week! The only fiction writing I've ever done are these book blurbs, and it seems to get easier each time.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Kathy M.

Grandma's Goulash said...

I love a good thick novel that explores a characters roots, while resolving a current dilemma. This one certainly has that potential and I would live to read it.

My Blurb: The Simple Truth

Lynette Killam said...

Well done, Claudia...you deftly lured us into Joey's blue-collar world! We can feel the longing to break free battling with his desire to bed the luscious Emilia. I can easily imagine Joey getting into all kinds of trouble on this defining night...

Susan Fobes said...

Wow! I love this from the Italian scene and disparate conditions to Emilia and well, you know...LOL!

Tammy said...

I didn't think it was trite at all. That "Poston" had an original feel...not to mention Emilia's heaving provolones! Thank you for not mentioning Italian sausage. Did I just write that?!! Sorry!!!

Jenny said...

This made me laugh. Tammy's comment made me laugh even harder.