Saturday, June 16, 2012

Green Vegetables


Isn’t this the best time for eating? When the gardens are lush and everything is so inviting in both taste and color? Even though my refrigerator was full after yesterday’s trip to the store, I did not want to miss today’s farmer’s market. I need a family at home to cook for in this delightful food season.

How will I use the bok choy? I don’t know. I love it when I have eaten it out, but I have never liked my own efforts at cooking it. But I did take a chance today and bought green tomatoes!

I remember my Gran cooking fried green tomatoes for my Grandpa. I wouldn’t touch them as tomatoes were supposed to be red for sure. I grew up and read the book Fried Green Tomatoes. Nice story but I shuddered at green tomatoes. Finally last week in Tulsa when I sampled the dish, I realized what I had been missing.

So today I tried my hand at making them. Oh, they were So So good! I made a small plate midmorning and took them out to the shop for DH to taste. He ate them all. I made a platter full for lunch and again they all disappeared.  On the negative side, the house smells like hot oil, the stove is greasy, and fried food is not necessarily on the diet plan. But DH thinks fried green tomatoes are worth it all.

Since DH is not fond of green vegetables, I have had a winning weekend on cooking greens. Last night it was fried (there it is again!) zucchini cakes made from grated zucchini, eggs, parmesan, flour, and oregano and then browned in butter. My…I am two for two in the green foods department right now!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, Bookie, they sound DELICIOUS. I agree that this is a fabulous time of year for fresh produce. I went to the Farmer's Market today, too. Had already done grocery shopping so I came home with geraniums and dahlias. Can't eat them but they sure are pretty! Ha! Susan

Rebecca said...

Those zucchini cakes sound VERY good! My sister brought a blueberry pie and a berry glace. The glace was WONDERFUL. I'm going to try it SOON!