Monday, December 12, 2011

A Few Bargains

It was holiday luck I guess, but I had a festive day full of good things happening a couple of days ago. A friend had told me of seeing a Blue Willow pot of some kind at our flea market. I thought from his description it would be a coffee pot, but I checked it out anyway. Yes, high on the shelf was a Churchill coffee pot in Blue Willow pattern which was nice but not for me. Then I saw a whole shelf of Blue Willow that had not been there when he was there.

The dandiest tea pot with a terrific price! Oh, I loved the shape and it was old because the color was the rich cobalt shades. The tag said Churchill for $20 which was a good price. I took it up to the register and continued to look around a bit. I found this darling maple table for $3. I figured enough for the day and took a trip by the original booth. A man was there putting new things on the shelves,  and I told him I had just bought his Blue Willow tea pot and was so happy to get it!

He had actually mis-marked the pot in that it was not Churchill of England. The mark had a crown and vaguely said House of Blue Willow 1899, Japan.

When I got back up to the register, the man had told the girl to mark it down another  $5. What a deal! I never asked for a discount and he already had it sold. I guess he was feeling a little like Santa and I sure was pleased myself.

Then when they rang up the table, the booth was having a sale. I got the table for a mere $1.50! How nice was that!

Then I came home to a mailbox with two copies Voices, Volume IV where I have a story called Sledge Hammer Summer. What fun on any day, but that day the joys seemed so abundant. I could see some tea and reading for the cold afternoon.

At our house we have a rule: One thing in, two things out. I am not sure yet what goes out to make room for these new bargains. Some clothes that are a might tight (aren't they all?) or maybe a shelf of books (what will be sacrificed)? Oh mercy, decisions. But I will do it--after the holidays.

11 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

If you lived closer, we'd hang out.

Ames said...

Oh you lucky girl! I was just looking at my new Country Sampler magazine for Jan 2012 and guess what one of the top items to collect in 2012 is? Yep you guessed it...Blue Willow. You did really good!~Ames

Ames said...

P.S. I have a rule that is one thing in one thing out! I can always find something to part with. Ha!

Lynn said...

Nothing like a bargain! How fun!

Terri said...

You are a lucky lady! What a fab tea pot. It really is a deep blue and the shape is wonderful.
Love your house rules.
Hugs,
Terri
?where is your tea cup? : )

Ruth...Time Was Antiques said...

Blue Willow is always popular...has been for almost 200 years! I love it! You had a great day!
Cheers!
R

2amscrapper said...

I like that rule

Tea in Texas said...

Lovely Teapot and Blue Willow is so pretty! I especially like the handle. It is wonderful to have a great day. Happy Tea Time! Pam

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Claudia, I need to go shopping with you! We have tons of antique and flea market shops around here, but I never really know what it is I'm looking at, and so don't know if the prices are fair or not. I just buy what I like and figure it is worth whatever I'm willing to pay. But it would sure be nice to have a savvy shopper like you along.

Susan said...

Love the teapot, Bookie. And the table is terrific, too. And what PRICES. Woweee. Good for you.

Thanks so much for your faithful visits to my blog and your comments, too. Your visits are SO APPRECIATED. Susan

Rebecca said...

How very special - that pot! I'm happy to hear Blue Willow is "in" for 2012. I have a lot of it - none of it so very valuable, but it IS one of my favorite patterns...