Saturday, September 3, 2011




Saturday means Centus Day, and Jenny tossed out one that sounded hard to me. No great inspirations today, only one idea that formed. It is below. 100 words were hard today with  "What kind of pizza is this?" presented for a prompt. My character found out there was more to his pizza than meets the eye! For full rules and more links to Centus to read, go to http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2011/09/saturday-centus-what-kind-of.html. I hope everyone has a good Labor Day weekend ahead!




                                                  Black Olives
Sebastian looked at his plate speckled with black orbs and then lifted his face to stare across the table at his wife.


“What kind of pizza is this?”


“Pepperoni with double black olives.”


“You know I hate black olives,”


“So, pick them off,” she said, chewing eagerly on her own slice.


What had happened to Maura, his biddable and submissive wife, the woman that made his life proceed smoothly? She used to do everything for him and suddenly she’d become fractious about everything he asked of her. His days were no longer comfortable, to his liking.


The olives ridiculed him; he knew his marriage was over.


17 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I like it. Especially "The olives ridiculed him."

Nicely done.

=)

Karen S. said...

Oh no not over ..really....have to watch out for all those black orbs running about! Great stuff!

cj Schlottman said...

Great take on this prompt, which is giving me trouble. I'm with Sue about the olives ridiculing him. Really a good line.

Namaste..........cj

BECKY said...

Wow! This was really one of your best, I think! I loved all of it, especially the entire last line, not just the olives part! Wonderful, Claudia!!

Judie said...

Hmmm--sounds like that was a GOOD thing, for his wife that is!! Excellent take on the prompt, Claudia!!

Lynn said...

Such a little olive... saying so much:@)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

sad,

bless her!

Ames said...

I love a woman who can dish it out after she's had her fill! Excellent!~Ames

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Very well done and realistic. Those trivial things become monumental irritants in a bad marriage.
xoRobyn

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Bookie. That was pizza pie in the face. No wonder I hate black olives. You did a nice job. Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

Amazing what those olives could do. I wish I was more like Maura. I never get to order the pizza the way i want

Jenny said...

I love the 'olives ridiculed him'. That was such a perfect line!

I used to let my first husband control the pizza topping choices. I learned.

Now in my second marriage, we take turns picking...but no-one is ever allowed to get anchovies!

ha!

Dazee Dreamer said...

Yay for Maura. Nothing better than stopping a man from walking all over us. Kudos

Bethe77 said...

Me thinks the olive is a small piece of thsi full picture and story.
Great use on teh prompt.
Blessings

Jo said...

"the olives ridiculed him" ... that line is just perfection! I really enjoyed this!!!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Great job. The olives turned out to be the straw that broke the marriage. Really good writing. laurie

Tina said...

the olives ridiculed him haha i like it! looks like thats the final nail in the coffin then for the marriage!