Friday, March 11, 2011

Book blurb/Leaving Trees

This writing a book blurb isn't at easy as it sounds. Maybe I will get better if I keep working with Lisa's Book Blurb Friday. Today I can't get Blogger to even cooperate with posting the picture. So for info on Book Blurb Friday, other writers' enteries, AND the picture this week, please visit Lisa at Writing in the Buff.
http://www.writinginthebuff.net/2011/03/book-blurb-friday-2-serendipity-tree.html?showComment=1299852903216#c5627345548864973339



Leaving Trees



From the wagon’s bench seat, she looked back for a last glimpse of hickory, Osage orange and sycamore that lined the creek bank. Her baby was buried under spreading branches of the tall oak. She knotted her kerchief and faced west as Asa said, “De war over. We leaving these Missouri trees for good, Maizey.”


With that, they headed for the Kansas plains near the Solomon River where she heard there wasn’t a tree to be found. How could they live in a hole in the ground? How would she survive summer heat without green leaves to shade her nappy head? No branches for birdsong, no squirrel chatter overhead, not even dead leaves for snakes to hide under.


So much would be different now, including freedom, in the new Black settlement of Nicodemus, Kansas. But she rode out to meet the challenges leaving behind her beloved trees.

14 comments:

BECKY said...

Claudia, this is beautiful!I can't say enough about how much I love reading all these different blurbs. The variety of ideas and the writing talent of everyone is just amazing! (P.S. sorry I haven't e-mailed in a while...I probably owe you one!)

Lynn said...

This is very good - I want to read the book. I swear every time I read everyone's blurbs I keep thinking, all these folks need to be writing books!

Margo Benson said...

This is lovely! I, too, wish to read the book...

Maude Lynn said...

Wow! Great take on the picture!

jabblog said...

That's a big change to make. How hard she's going to find it - wish I could learn more!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Beautiful, Claudia, and so different entirely from any of the others. You said writing the blurb wasn't easy, but you make it look like a breeze!

Susan Fobes said...

Wow, I am so impressed with this! You took on a historical fiction and did it quite well...

Ellie Garratt said...

That was lovely. I'm intrigued to know what happens to her!

Sioux Roslawski said...

I agree with Lisa. Your blurb seemed effortless. Okay, I think this might be the first historical fiction book idea I've read. When are beginning work on the book?

Kay L. Davies said...

Such a big change. A life without trees. The cost of freedom. Very nice take on the prompt. Where does it go from here?
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Pat Wahler said...

Love historical pieces. Great job!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Betty Craker Henderson said...

Lovely writing, Claudia. Just a thought but I'm wondering if you've read Morning in Nicodemus by Ellen Gray Massey.2009 Goldminds Publishing. Thought you might want to check it out. It is fiction, set in 1879. I can't wait to read yours.

Jenny said...

This was wonderful. I love historical writing...and this felt seamless.

Dominic de Mattos said...

Hi Claudia

The blurb really evokes the hardship and heartache of the time. Well done

:Dom