Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturday Centus #23, Love on the Road

This is Saturday Centus . The prompt must be used word for word somewhere in the story on not more than 100 words.The prompt is highlighted. For complete rules see:http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com.
Love on the Road

They were on vacation, crashed in a cheap motel. She had helped drive the day’s five hundred miles. Cramped into a small room, he had turned on the television and folded himself into the chenille spread while she made their tea. Just like home, he waited for service.



He seized the remote as if it were his by Divine Right. He aimed it at the screen like a powerful wizard’s finger. Sound lambasted the walls and her road-weary nerves. Babel of ballgames wove among newscasts and interrupted screeching dramas. Garbled racket assaulted her ears with no relief.


She fantasized, “If I had a hammer…”

18 comments:

Deborah said...

Very good, I loved, 'he seized the remote as if it were his Divine Right'... don't they all! LOL

jeff campbell said...

So well written...very good, but I have to say, being a guy, there is way too much anti-guy sentiment in SC. I suppose I'll just have to go along, seeing how I'm in the minority...Peace and blessings

Viki said...

Sounds like she has to stick up for herself and grab that remote lol.

jfb57 said...

Oh goodness - not a happy one this! Better not give her a hammer me thinks!

Cheryl said...

Oh, man! I loved this one. w00t w00t! Great write Claudia.

Susan Anderson said...

Of course, she was only going to use the hammer on the television, right?

Great take on this.

=)

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

I love the emotions you managed to capture in this descriptive scenario. It's excellent. I really enjoyed it.
xoRobyn

Tracy said...

that is the only goodthing about being single now. I get to control TV oh unless teenager around

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I loved it! Loved it!

Unknown said...

Lots of couples seem to be living in two different worlds and have very different needs. I can understand Jeff's feelings that there is a lot of 'anti-guy-sentiment' in SC. But women can be a pain-in-the-butt too.
Why not ask your partner if he or she would be bothered by the tv? I think people, both men and women need to get to know each other better and understand the need to be different.
A big mistake that many people make is to assume that there is only one way of doing things.
Thought-provoking post!
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's SC Week 23

Terra said...

Ouch! I totally get it and love it! OUCH!

Judie said...

Been there! Done that!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can certainly relate to this one! If only I had a hammer to loan...

Teresa

gautami tripathy said...

Like this!

that hammer

Kat said...

The imagery in this is great - "like a powerful wizard's finger" I can just see the lazy lout! Well done. Kat

BECKY said...

Fabulous, Claudia!!!!!

cj Schlottman said...

claudia,

there was a little anti-guy flavor to my post this time, too. yours is so descriptive with very concrete images. isn't it about the WRITING?

good words..............cj

Jenny said...

Love the 'divine right' statement. This was clever. A different direction and a great ending!

Thanks for sharing this. I totally liked this little gem of a story.