Sunday, March 26, 2017

In the Pink?




Friday night was another difficult night and then in the wee hours of morning a storm with lots of thunder moved through. Biscuit doesn’t like thunder, but she was a trooper and remained quiet in her crate. The whole house waited for storm to be over and that made the coming day even more tiresome.

But I wanted to do something to take my mind off all the difficulties in life. I was tired of sitting and straightened a few things around here. I made a new casserole for lunch and stirred up cookies for the first time in over a year. Oh, folks have brought us cakes and cookies, but we have been trying to leave them alone for health reasons. Ah, yesterday was a big fail because I wanted some of my own chocolate chip cookies. I just use the Toll House recipe, but I use three different kinds of chocolate chips.

Then I changed table top again. I might not be able to climb and clean corners and sweeping floor is often beyond me, but I can change a table cloth and feel like I am in control of some part of my own wonky life! I chose pink, a color I rarely use and it feels like Easter and spring and light and airy! When I was four years old, I loved pink, wanted everything pink. My mom hated pink and loved red. It was a squabble every time I dressed, but I guess I got my fill of pink in the end. Nice to see it again though now.
 
 
 

In the afternoon, I read a book which is also difficult some of these days. I finished A Piece of Time by Christina Kline, and I really enjoyed the book. It is story built around Wyeth’s painting titled “Christina’s World”. I’ve always liked the painting, and my mother-in-law had a print of the painting hanging in her house for years. I recommend the story even if you are not familiar with Wyeth or the painting. I think I will sample more of this author when I can.
                                               Christina's World by A. Wyeth

The day ended and night was better for me; DH still had issues, but I was so tired (and cookie full) that I slept. Now the Sunday morning is bright with sunshine despite more storms coming. I hope to get out on the deck this afternoon to soak up sunshine while I can. March is ending this week, and I hope it takes all the darkness with it—well, as much as it can. Let April bring some lightness and cheer.

Happy Sunday to you!

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Claudia--I have always loved that Wyeth painting. There are so many possibilities, when it comes to the story that picture tells.

I'm glad you got some pink in your world. Whatever color you feel like, you should embrace.

And what three kinds of chips do you use? I'm curious...

Susan said...

Hello Dear Claudia...Thank you for saying I was the air for your balloon. That was sweet. I sure hope April will be better for you and your DH. Much, much, MUCH better, as a matter of fact. And I am SO GLAD you made and ate those cookies. You are WORTHY of having a treat. I remember that painting. Now you've piqued my curiosity. Wonder what the story of that girl in the painting is. Take care and enjoy the sunshine there. None here so gotta make our own. ha ha ha Susan

Susan said...

p.s. Meant to tell you the table setting looks lovely.Pink is my favorite color.Susan

Elephant's Child said...

Isn't it amazing the difference a little thing (like changing the tablecloth) can make in our world?
I hope this week and all the weeks to come are much better for you, DH (not forgetting Biscuit).

Mevely317 said...

That wee green pot is adorable! And those crisp yellow napkins? Aah. :)

I know nothing of Wyeth, but I'm enormously curious about that painting. Perhaps the interpretation is best left in our imagination?

Linda O'Connell said...

Claudia, that picture speaks to me. I have so many scenarios swimming in my head; it has inspired me to return to my work of short fiction.

A festive and colorful table and splash is just what we need on dreary days. Weather has to clear up sometime. Looking forward to sitting on the patio. Tired of being cooped up. Can you believe Easter is two weeks away?

Donna Volkenannt said...

The Wyeth painting is so evocative. It raises question and brings vivid images to mind.

I'm happy you are able to bake cookies and change the table linens. Your table looks lovely. Mine is cluttered right now, but I hope to change the table cloth soon with a brighter color. And I'm also ready for April and flowers and fresh starts. Hope you continue to heal and grow strong. For some reason I'm craving chocolate chip cookies right now.