Friday, January 15, 2016

Writing Mode


It was the first local writer guild meeting of the new year last night, and I made the effort to get there for the first time in months. I missed so many meetings last year, and I was hoping to start fresh and try again. There were 22 people attending last night which is a lot for this group…but then everyone these days thinks they can write a book, right?

There was a new president in charge and Chanin is going to be a whizz bang. She had new ideas and means to push for more action out of folks. Her agenda was well-formed, and she stuck to it moving folks along for accomplishment. There was a brag session (always long), several items of new business, motions made, programs planned, each individual made a list of writing goals for the year to be handed in and checked next year, and even a ten minute writing prompt write before the members left. The meeting stopped right on time and people left enthused.

I have different writing tastes than most of the members. There is a lot of paranormal, memoir and religious essay. Poetry is finally coming forth as a couple of young teachers have joined, and they are interested in publishing poetry. Chanin offers a whole new interest to the group because she is writing a screenplay and wants to work in humor.

Before the meeting last night, she posted on Facebook the new guidelines she expected to be followed for the new year. You will see her funny bone showing and it set a mood for the group even before we got there. A couple of members even brought her candy and it was a laughing moment.

As your new President, I have decided to set up some guidelines/rules/laws of the land for our meetings. 
1. You must bring the President a gift at every meeting you attend (preferably snacks). 
2. In the winter, one of you will need to leave 5 minutes early to warm up my car. 
3. In the summer, one of you will need to leave 5 minutes early to cool down my car.
4. If you are late for our meeting, I have it set up for you to help return books to the library shelves. 
5. Sucking up is completely acceptable and encouraged. 
6. Most of all...we are going to have FUN! *even if I have to tickle you*

This morning I made Biscuit famous with her softer side in a poem up on Post Cards. Please visit and leave a comment if you have time. https://postcardpoemsandprose.wordpress.com/2016/01/15/going-to-chair-by-claudia-mckinney-mundell/

And now another day begins…maybe the lines be with you!

7 comments:

pat couch laster said...

Eureka! On my Vista PC I found my blog stats while my newer,newly "fixed by Slim Cleaner" is still warming up.I spent at least 3 hours yesterday trying to solve the enigma--to no avail.
The group you attended sounds interesting, but large. What group is this--and where? Do you do online groups, too? What are your goals? Your blog is the only one that comes up regularly on my stats page, and I'm mighty glad it does. Have a good day. It's warm(er) and sunny in central AR.

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds as if her funny bone is her backbone.
And if she can keep to schedule she is very impressive indeed.
Off to visit your poem.

Elephant's Child said...

I have been, I have read, I have loved it.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Claudia--Those rules are the funniest ones I've ever seen.

Good luck with your writing. Now, I'm off to check out your poem...

Linda O'Connell said...

What a great poem! I am so glad you found a place to fit in your writing group. It makes it so much more interesting when we can share our work.

Marylin Warner said...

Oh, Claudia, "Writing Mode" was an excellent balance after "Wearing Underwear to the ER." I'm proud of you for remembering to turn off the bath water, finding matching shoes, and staying strong throughout the ordeal.
Your new writing group president is a gem. Around here, only one rule would be taken out, someone going out to start heating her car before the end of the meeting. In Colorado there are so many reports of cars being stolen while left heating up on cold mornings, even for just a few minutest, that several of the insurance agents have sent out notices warning that rates will go up and in some cases full repayment for a stolen car won't exist. :(
May this next week be rich of warm moments in the recliner with Biscuit, many wonderful writing projects, and no more injuries!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Sounds like you're having way too much fun! :) I loved the poem, Claudia. Your love for Biscuit has been shouted to the world. As has Biscuit's intelligence when it comes to choosing a comfy place to snuggle.