Friday, September 13, 2013

Tagged While on the Road!


In late August we began to gather for a trip to the Southwest. DH wanted to see Canyon de Chelly. It was hard to wait through Labor Day, but we knew the highways and tourist areas would be slower if we could just hold off. The Ruby Slipper was ready and so were we. I even bought the greatest western purse beforehand that would hold Kindle, camera and phone along with the usual things. It was an American West bag that I found in a thrifty shop! I got it for an absolute song! 
 

So first thing that next Tuesday we pulled out and pointed the Ruby Slipper westward. This trip took us to new places but also to some familiar ones. While we usually do antique malls, almost none this time. No visitor centers. We did take a lot of our own food like usual, but DH agreed to try some local foods with me. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell my unlocal internal organs that the local food was coming. I was sick for five days of the trip.

Also my Kindle quit which left me without the communication and writing tools I was depending on. We did get a call from the nursing home about health issues on the in-laws, but we were already in Albuquerque and too far away to help. All together it was not a bad trip, but it sure had some dents in it. I am grateful for all we did get to do and see.

While gone, I got tagged by Donna at http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com with four writing questions. The few other tagged pages I have read thus far have been very interesting. Since I am so far behind on my blog, I think I will do these questions first and get myself warmed up to writing again!

1.    What are you working on right now?

Right before we left for our trip, I spent weeks doing autumn contests and submissions. I got out about 15 things. Now, before anything else, I will work on blog pages that are actually a trip journal for myself more than anything. I really missed doing it along the way but dashed off notes that I hope I can recreate the trip with on the page.

2.    How does it differ from other works in the genre?

Well, journaling is journaling, but I guess this is different because I am sharing it publically.

3.    Why do you write what you do?

I write to please myself mostly. I had hopes of being a “great” writer, but I realized I am no James Patterson or J.K. Rowling. But I love to read and write “slice of life” writing. Poetry or essay or short story…anything that makes a reader say he has done that, been there, or felt that way is successful. I wrote a piece about my grandpa years ago and when he died, it was read at the funeral. My uncle had held up until he heard my words and then he crumbled into sobs. He told me later that my words made his dad alive again. What better reason to write?

4.    What is the hardest part of writing?

First of all, finding the time and commitment to put the behind in the chair and do the work! After that, it is pouring yourself onto the page, of creating lines that hold part of yourself in them and still being able to be yielding enough to alter your first thoughts. Once a piece is written, then it is hard to know how or where or even if to share. If you paint a picture or sculpt a face, you can decorate your home with your own work, your own tastes. When you write a (to you) beautiful story or poem, what to do you do with it? Store it under the bed, file in a drawer, send to a friend?

This is a thought-provoking exercise, enjoyable, and I am tagging the following people if they choose to participate. If not, that is fine too!



2 comments:

Lynn said...

Love the purse! I've been tagged too and was going to tag you and well... it's always good hearing about other writers.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Claudia,
What a cute purse, and I love your answers. Now, I'm going to read about your Southwest adventure.