Monday, April 8, 2013

Small Stones Poetry



Do you know about Small Stones writing? You can read it on Facebook at Writing Our Way Home. https://www.facebook.com/groups/smallstones/doc/135768619921065

It is simply a place to write tiny pieces of figurative language that try to capture a simple moment or experience in time. Writers post their efforts and leave comments on other writers’ work. It seems to be very popular because it is a creative outlet, and it allows a writer to dash off a line or two when she can’t seem to write longer pieces due to time or block.

Check it out. In the meantime I have included a few of my own stones from this past winter.


New Year’s beans bubble with expectation,
Boil in a broth of optimism.
**********************************************
Leaving the bed at dawn is challenging;
The cold bites my ankles, urges me to hurry.
**************************************************
Winter sky, the shades of a house mouse,
Hammers down my mind and soul,
Nailing me to a dark season.
********************************************
Quiet wings crouching on bare limbs,
Muffled chirps instead of song,
Winter birds shudder and
Wait for spring too…
*********************************************
The earth and sky wrestle over spring this morning.
Heavy snow falls from gray skies, accumulates;
Streets puddle as warm earth melts the cascading flakes.
Who will win in March?

4 comments:

Linda O'Connell said...

Oh my goodness, your visuals are stunning. With brevity, you have painted such amazing pictures. Beautiful.

Jenny said...

This is neat. I love how you paint pictures with vowels and syllables!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Wonderful imagery, Claudia. And you know you've touched on one of my favorite things: micro stories! I'll definitely visit this link.

Lynn said...

I had heard of this from another blogger, although I never went to the site to post anything... and I tried to do it on my own, but felt like I failed miserably. And now after reading yours... well, I may have to just forget it!