Friday, November 11, 2016

Another Week in November Is Gone



Here we are at the end of another week, a week of turmoil and upset for many people. Anger is the result of fear in our brains and there are enough of both to go around these days. I call constantly for a return to civility, the best parts of it anyway. I have not sorted out my many feelings on many topics even yet. Just trying to live moment to moment right now and see some pattern in the chaos of both the world and my world.

Monday, we went to my uncle’s visitation. It was quite an effort, but the daytime funeral the next morning was during a dentist appointment I needed to keep. This week is extra one after chemo and side effects are less. Must go and do while I can. So, we went to the visitation which also meant being with family from afar that I might not ever get to see again. Pictures were abundant. It was like we all knew the end was near for us as well as the uncle. We wanted to save the moments in any way we could. Instinct tells us to cling to life and visions of it.

After dentist, the next day was eye doctor for us both. Expected a lot of problems but both were better than expected. Chemo effects were light; insides of eyes were moderately healthy for our states of health, but DH now has cataracts that will require surgery in a year or so. Afterwards we ate lunch and went to Sam’s to stock the larder. I was grateful to be able to walk the store and do things as I once did. But I was very tired when I got home!

Yesterday I visited my exercise group but not for the exercises. I only went for the last hour which is tea and talk. It was good to be there again even for a little while! That evening one more return as we went to the movies like we used to do. Wow, have the prices gone up while I wasn’t looking!!! The movies are so poor in most cases I think they should pay us to go!

We wanted to see Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge and it was worth the money. I have to be honest it was one of the goriest movies I have seen. But it was a WWII setting on Okinawa so I knew what to expect. Something about the war and that time period draws me though…always has. I hate the horror but love the tales when men rise above themselves and do grand things. This story is about conscientious objector who served as a medic and is a true story.  I won’t say much more as I don’t want to spoil it for you. Despite the killing and maiming and terror, the story also has faith and promise and goodness. Makes you think! Even this war movie has a good ending of sorts.

                                                  DH and me at the funeral visitation

10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that you have been able to get out and about this week.
And love the smiling photo of the two of you. And the connections you were able to reforge at the visitation.

Lynn said...

Sounds like you've been having a pretty good time lately.... YAY. And what a sweet picture of the two of you! You look great. Will check out that movie! Sending love...

Linda O'Connell said...

Love your comment, They should pay us to go! That is the truth. I so love that photo of you and DH, and also glad your stamina has increased. That movie got excellent reviews. Glad you enjoyed it.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

That photo is wonderful! You look beautiful, Claudia. I'm so happy you felt well enough to do the things you wanted to do and that you made the most of every moment, something we all should do. Sending love and hugs to you!

Rebecca said...

What a busy week you've had. Sounds like you are handling the challenges gracefully and in the company of dear family and friends. How important to take the time to treasure these relationships...

I probably won't see the movie even though it sounds inspiring. It is very difficult for me to process the visuals that you describe.

Thanking God for my relatively simple life while seizing opportunities that are all around me to be a help and encouragement to others. ♥

Susan said...

So happy to see you are posting, Claudia. It has, indeed, been a week of turmoil and I have a feeling it is going to continue for quite a spell. Our nation is badly divided right now. Sad but true. Hope you have a good week ahead. Susan

baili said...

what a coincident that my Monday and Tuesday were spent in visits to the dentist and skin allergy doctors .
glad you been able to have some fun too
i too don't like horror movies but human relationship ,thriller and suspense when at the end ordinary people do extra ordinary things
you are so pretty and you both make a wonderful couple

Sioux Roslawski said...

Claudia--Thanks for the tip about the essay on rejection. I got the essay and used it at our writing retreat this weekend.

I'll share more details on Tuesday, but thanks. The other writers really enjoyed it. (By the way, you look marvelous. That's a great picture.)

Donna Volkenannt said...

You and DH look great. Glad to read you are getting out and about.

My sister saw Hacksaw Ridge and said she'd see it again. Our dad served with the 96th Infantry Division, which is mentioned in the movie. It's on my list of movies to see when I get out and about.
Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving.

BECKY said...

Claudia, when you do get out and about, you manage to do a lot! I'm so glad you have the energy at times to do the things you want/need to do. The photo of you and DH is fabulous! You look mahhhhhvelous! I've seen the previews of the movie and it does look exceptional. I read somewhere else about one of my friends seeing it and she raved about it like you did. (I hate gory scenes, but can always close my eyes when I know they're coming!) :-)