Saturday, August 30, 2014

Labor Day Closures




It is Labor Day Weekend and that means things are beginning to change to oranges and burgundy shades now. When I was a child, it meant end of summer and beginning of school. Now school starts much earlier. DH and I rarely travel on this busy holiday, but hunker close to home feeling the change in seasons as if it were a mantle laid over our shoulders. It is still warm out, in fact, it is hot and steamy. The sky has haziness to it, like a layer of summer dirt has rested over the sun waiting for a clean wash from autumnal rains.


After 30 years, our garage door opener gave out so DH has been replacing both sides. It has been slow due to health and heat.  But today it is done and now clean up begins. While buying the openers, I saw a clearance sale on fountains. I have had a wooden one DH made on the deck. It was nothing pretty…just all we have had for years. Now I have a real one, a small waterfall really. I love sitting there with my tea pot early in the mornings listening to the water dance across the rocks. I can shut my eyes and be by any stream I have or have not seen in my lifetime…and all without worrying about a bear biting my behind!


Thanks to Martha at Lines from Linderhof (http://www.lflinderhof.com/) our lunch was a Shady Gables chicken salad and tomato spice bread. Shady Gables is a wonderful English tea room in Missouri that we once visited, and the salad has both apple and onion in it. The tomato bread is a lovely autumnal crimson shade made from end of the season tomatoes. Email me if you would like the recipes.

Happy Labor Day to all my readers!


8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Happy Labor Day.
We try not to travel on holiday weekends - too crowded and more than a little dangerous.
Staycations have a lot of charm.

Linda O'Connell said...

Such poetic writing: a layer of dust has settled across the sun waiting for autumnal rains. I LOVE that imagery. Enjoy the weekend.

Susan said...

Hi Claudia. Just wrote a comment but I think I lost it.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you how happy I am that you got your fountain. Ours has given me great joy these past years. I also got it at end-of-season at Home Depot. (Have you seen it on my blog?)

Love your fall decor. Haven't dug mine out yet.

Take care and savor this long weekend! Susan

pat couch laster said...

I jumped the gun on September and re-dressed my dining table with a new green-and-purple vinyl cloth and the closest-to-the-colors napkins. Soon, I'll get down the fall-motif mugs that I enjoy so much. Wish we lived close enough to visit it person.

Mary Horner said...

I love fall, and your beautiful post. Looking forward to cooler weather, and may go shopping for a fountain!

Lynn said...

Love that white pumpkin. Can't believe fall is almost here... but I love the cooler weather.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Like you, we're ready for autumn. Hotlanta lived up to its nickname this summer, and our temps are still in the 90s.

Love the fountain---I want one!

Rebecca said...

I had an indoor fountain once.....never could quite get it situated....

September feels here like you describe it there...

And please email me that CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE. gatesmc@juno.com

THANKS!