2010 Poetry, Flash Fiction, and Essay Writing Awards
Deadline: June 30,2010
Polish your favorite poems, short fiction, and essays for the 2010 Whispering Prairie Press 2010 Poetry, Flash Fiction, and Essay Writing Awards!
Prizes in Each Category: 1st place $100, 2nd place $50, 3rd place $25,
plus one honorable mention for every 10 entries.
Eligibility: Open to all writers age 18 and up, except members of the Board of Directors of Whispering Prairie Press. All work must be the author’s original work.
Poetry: Any style, any subject. Limit: 36 lines
Flash Fiction: A complete fictional short story with a beginning, middle and end. 1,000 words or less
Non-fiction Personal Essay: 1,000 words or less
Submissions: All entries must be unpublished at the time of submission.
1. No limit on number of entries.
2. Submit hard copy with no name on manuscript.
3. Put word count for fiction or line count for poetry in the top right corner.
4. Include a cover sheet with name, address, e-mail, telephone number with area code, category, and title of entry. If author is a full-time college student, add the name of the school
5. Prose must be double-spaced in 12-point Times New Roman or Courier. Poetry may be single spaced.
6. Enclose SASE for next year’s guidelines. Entries not returned.
Entry fee: $5 for each entry or 3 entries for $10. (nonrefundable)
Full-time college students: 2 entries for $5 May mix categories.
Address: Whispering Prairie Press Writing Awards
PO Box 8342
Prairie Village, KS 66208-0342
Postmark Deadline: June 30, 2010
Results: Winners will be announced by August 1, 2010, and winners’ names posted at www.kansascityvoices.com .Judges’ decisions are final.