Thursday, October 6, 2016

Seasons


It is no secret our life is full of season, not just Mother Nature’s seasons. While all seasons have some down sides, I do appreciate living in an area that clearly experiences four distinct season changes. Our trees are beginning to turn here; there is autumn rain. There is also some tornado watches nearby. Also this week, the doctor news was not good, a winter warning type of news. I have always tried to remember that you can’t see the rainbow without having the thunderstorm first. I just hope I still have a few rainbows left to see.

As we age and then when we are seriously ill, we begin to relive the past, to remember special things. It is amazing how fast life has gone by! I have my Granny’s mink stole which I am going to pass on to my niece who is a vintage dress type girl-my kind of gal! In the 50s and 60s women would kill for mink or even lesser furs. Now you can’t give them away. The story behind this one is that Grandpa got it for Gran for Christmas. For weeks he talked about his special gift and how happy she would be. For weeks she pictured getting a new sewing machine that she needed badly. A gifted seamstress, her machine was a clunker and she was so excited. But on Christmas Gramps handed her a small box with a beautiful mink that made him look good!



Well, she wore it to church but where else? She did not live a mink lifestyle! She loaned it to me to wear to two proms. I was downtown in 1967! There I was in a $29.95 Mode o Day dress and hundreds of dollars of mink on my shoulders!



Seasons also mean Gus changes his dew rag. The mascot of PSU is a gorilla named Gus. Oh I love gorillas!!!! I bought this piece of concrete years ago where the shop had some red, some yellow dew rags on Gus. I have used red in summer and yellow in the fall. Alas, I can’t find my dew rag fabric, but his head gear was faded to white! So I tied on a teal colored ovarian cancer support dew rag. Gus, it will have to do this autumn!!!!

I voted this morning. Not knowing how I will be in 30 days and knowing I can’t stand in a long line for long while for anything, DH and I went to the poles early. Just getting into our huge Victorian courthouse was a trial for me. But we did it and I know I’ve done my civic duty for this election season.


I hope you have bright autumn days where you are, the seasons of your life treat you well!

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I voted early last week in our local council elections for very similar reasons.
Hugs.
Seasons are a gift. And sometimes a curse.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Claudia--With the way the campaigns are going, I think I'm going to write in someone.

Gus looks pretty bright and he has kind eyes.

Gus for President!

Mevely317 said...

Oh my word, how I remember the 60's prom look!
.....and how I wish that elegance hadn't gone by the way.

Glad to hear y'all voted early. I think I'm going to do the same. I hope not, but I'm concerned there may be trouble-makers at the polls.

BECKY said...

Claudia, I love your prom dress, your elegant long, black gloves, and of course, the mink! You could've been one of the models in a Teen Magazine! :)
I'm so sorry that the doctor didn't have very good news. Sending warm hugs your way (warm like the mink!)

Rebecca said...

It's my FAVORITE seasons right now (until spring)... The cool relief from hot summer is so welcome. Fields are so beautiful in their golden phase...

This season of life also finds us preparing for the arrival of my father into our household. Less than 2 weeks now! The anticipation has been high, believe me! Yet to come, an estate sale the week after he arrives here. It will be handled by a professional, thankfully. Hoping there aren't too many loose ends to tie up since we didn't pay for her services to cart off the leftovers. Only box them up. We plan to call a charity to pick up what remains.

Thinking of you frequently with a wish AND a prayer ♥

Linda said...

I love vintage and love all your photos. Take good care of yourself. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

Lynn said...

How adorable seeing you in the Prom picture with the mink! And I love the gorilla with the teal colored ovarian cancer "dew" rag. And good for you to vote! Sending love...