Tuesday, May 3, 2016

My Toto Teapot


I don’t do Teacup Tuesday like I used to do because I rarely have anything new to share. I am trying to discipline myself on what I bring into the house, and in fact, trying to haul out things whenever I can convince myself to let them go.


But this little teapot I have not shared before. I have it sitting out right now to enjoy. It is a little small for us, and I rarely use cute little teapots for just myself. ( Even when I brew for me I use a good sized pot!) One of my rules has been to buy only teapots that can be used daily and to avoid the whimsy ones that were just for looks. This one appealed to me because it was a sweet little cottage, could be used despite the small size, and it had a dog on the side that looked like Dorothy’s Toto!
I saw it at a shop years ago in Niagara on the Lake, New York, what a lovely place. I wanted it but even then I talked myself out of buying a cute pot that was not something for daily use to us. DH urged me to get it, but I passed as it was quite pricy at the time. 

The town is quite touristy and busloads of people milled about the town. In a little park at the edge of town was a busy bathroom, people coming and going. We went there just before leaving town. Walking up the sidewalk, I saw a twenty dollar bill and picked it up. No one was nearby me; I waited to see if anyone was looking for something lost. DH said we would never find a likely candidate in the milling people; everyone was in a hurry to shop or catch a bus. No one noticed us at all.


So I called it a gift that meant I should buy the Toto Teapot! It was only half the price but that meant the price was now more reasonable to me.  I returned to the store, bought it,  and  hand carried the pot home on an airplane. I have since found two cups that are not an identical match but do have a thatched cottage in the scene. 

7 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Bookie, it was SO meant to be that you have that sweet teapot. Lovely it is, too. So happy for you. Susan

Linda O'Connell said...

That little teapot is darling, and finders keepers is free money. I saw a cute mug at Cracker Barrel a few years ago with a similar pattern.

Elephant's Child said...

You were most definitely meant to have that teapot. And it is charming.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

LOVE to teapot. I used to collect them, but ended up giving most away. They take up a lot of space!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Meant to say I love the teapot. But I guess "to teapot" works, too, since my next sentence was about collecting them. lol

pat couch laster said...

I, look for things to give away. But then, I think,why deprive myself of lovely or memory-giving things: let my heirs do that! My aunt collects teapots. She had to have extra shelving built to hold them all--plus pictures of the growing number of great-grandchildren.

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Claudia,
Your teapot is so cute. You were meant to have it. I have a small collection of teapots but find myself drinking out of the same cups each day. Hope you're enjoying this lovely spring weather!